Choosing Your DefinitionIt is important to pick out a term or definition that is not a concrete object. For instance, most people can agree on the definition of cat or plane. One is a four-legged fur ball and the other is something that flies in the sky and gets people from point a to point b. This essay is easier to write if you select a less concrete or abstract topic that can be easily explained through your knowledge or experience. Terms like nihilism or honesty are great for essays like these.
Other Definition Essay Topics
- Common Sense
The Definition Essay’s Structure
- Introduction ‒ This should include a generic definition of your term or even an attention grabbing fact. Then you can give a contradiction to your term to contrast it. End your introduction by giving your own definition of the term that you are going to expound upon throughout the rest of your essay.
- Body ‒ In your essay’s body, you need to provide a few different points that construct your interpretation of the definition. You can provide background information but it isn’t necessary. Each point should have its own paragraph
- Point 1: This will include the first component of your definition. You will need to give your analysis for how the example substantiates your definition.
- Point 2: This is the second aspect of your term. Once again, give an example and provide analysis.
- Point 3 etc. if necessary
- Conclusion ‒ Your conclusion should give an overview of your above points. You can also explain how the definition has impacted your life. The attention grabber at the beginning of your essay can be brought back in to tie everything neatly together.
Definition Essay ExamplesMost people might think that a feminist is just a man hater with short spiky hair that goes through the streets protesting every insignificant instance of possible sexism or misconduct. However, a more accepted version of feminism is simply any person, man or woman, who believes that women have the right to be equal with men. If this were better understood amongst the general population, more women would undoubtedly embrace this controversial term. To be a feminist means to not be a second class citizen and to be an intellectual equal on par with the rest of humankind…
The word intelligence brings visions of Albert Einstein or other smart men or women of science. However, I would more readily argue that intelligence should be measured in different areas and ways. It is not only important to be the smartest kid in class. It’s also important to have common sense as well as street smarts and social skills together with book intelligence. All of these key areas affect everyone’s life. Therefore, I would argue that schools and universities should not only be developing their students’ minds intellectually, but they should be building it within all of these other important spheres….
- Proper formatting
Success: Extended Definition Essay examples
809 WordsOct 21st, 19994 Pages
What is success? Is it the process of doing a task and receiving a positive result acceptable amongst the community, or is it simply achieving ones own personal goals? Success to me can mean many things. Although I am successful in school, that does not necessarily mean I will lead a successful life.
According to The American Heritage Dictionary success is, "the achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted." Even over the course of history, the meaning of the word has not really changed. In the Webster's Dictionary from 1828, success was stated as, "the favorable or prosperous termination of anything attempted; a termination which answers the purpose intended; properly in a good sense, but often in a bad…show more content…
"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once and a while; you don't do things right once and a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit, and unfortunately so is losing. There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game, and that is first. I have finished second twice in my time at Green Bay, and I don't ever want to finish second again. There is a second place bowel game, but it is a game for losers played by losers. It has always been an American zeal to be first in anything we do, and to win, and to win, and to win (Lombardi)."
I however disagree with this opinion. We are successful everyday by accomplishing even small tasks that are required to get by in life. To most of us, tying a shoe is a practice that has become very routine, but to some this can be a huge endeavor. We as Americans take literacy for granted. According to a commentary by Regina Lee Wood, director of research for the National Right to Read Foundation, the United States has a work force literacy rate of 76% (OCPA). For a person to be able to read, that is a success in it's own. "Success is relative: It is what we can make of the mess we have made of things (Elliot). Success has many different levels. In order to succeed, one must try; in order to try, one must believe in themselves. If we believe in ourselves, then we have already succeeded.